Kalamunda Club is a place where community members can come together and socialise. The following history of the Club was pieced together from old Minutes of meetings and highlights the importance of our role in the community.
As the local hotel did not open on a Sunday, as many as 50 Kalamunda residents would meet behind a local garage for what was called “five-bob-in” get-togethers. As a result of these gatherings the Kalamunda Club was formed following at a public meeting held on 20th August 1952.
There were initially 173 foundation members, 129 men and 44 ladies. The membership fees were $2.10 for ladies and $4.20 for the men.
The first committee meeting resolved to approach the Kalamunda Roads Board (now the City of Kalamunda) to seek the lease of a portion of the “Dairy Block”, now known as Stirk Park.
The approach was supported by a master plan which included provisions for bowls and croquet. Negotiations resulted in the Club obtaining the lease of an old weatherboard cottage in the “Dairy Block” now known as Stirk Park. This was next to Stirk Cottage (the oldest house in Kalamunda).
The Kostera family were the driving force for the Club formation. Both Jack and Reta Kostera were made life members of the Club, Jack was awarded a British Empire Medal for his services to the community and fittingly, the lounge at the north end of the clubhouse was name after the family.
When the lease was approved, there was then the need to renovate it to suit club purposes and this was done largely by volunteer labour.
Initially the club did not hold a liquor license, but functions were still held with a keg under the counter and many happy hours were spent in the four rooms and verandah. After the initial alterations were completed, the club successfully applied for a license and “authorised” trading commenced on Easter Thursday in April 1954. Beer prices were 11c for a middy and 50c for a jug!